Thank you for your interest in becoming Board Certified in the area of DUI Defense by the DUI Defense Lawyers Association (DUIDLA).
Certification is granted to those who meet the requirements to sit for the Board Certification Exam and score a passing grade on the exam. If you are granted Board Certification from DUIDLA, you will still need to follow your jurisdiction’s rules regarding advertising such designation.
We have worked hard to tailor the experience requirements to allow members from across the nation to be eligible to sit for this exam. The application process may be somewhat tedious but the bar is set high for obtaining this certification which will set you apart from all other DUI lawyers in your area.
Please review the entire application to determine if you qualify based on the education and experience requirements. If you have any questions regarding the qualification requirements, please email ExecDirector@DUIDLA.org.
Suggested resources/topics for study:
- NHTSA SFST manuals (all versions) and validation studies
- DRE manuals
- Garriott’s Medicolegal Aspects of Alcohol (5th and 6th editions)
- All past and current issues of Counterpoint: The Journal of Science and the Law
- Basic Gas Chromatography by Harold McNair
- A knowledge of the significant US Supreme Court decisions which have impacted DUI/DWI defense
- A working knowledge of alcohol and drug pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
- Retrograde extrapolation
- Breath testing theory and science
- Ethical considerations involved in DUI/DWI defense practice